Now, before you say you hate anchovies, or you don’t really care for anchovies, or say, can you make this without anchovies please? NO! Give these little salty, briny, umami guys a break! What’s umami? It’s actually one of the five basic tastes along with sweet, sour, salty and bitter. Anchovies are a secret weapon. Fancy pants!
Frequently asked questions.
1. Are they fishy? Well, yes, at first, touching them, smelling them in the tin, chopping them… – but WAIT. Did you know that Worcestershire sauce has anchovies? You like Worcestershire, or trying to say Worcestershire. It’s like a punch in the tastebuds, but the good kind. Anyway….Fry them, saute them, chop them, smash them – just use them.
2. Can I just NOT use them in this recipe? Nah, come on, try it!
Anchovy Butter with Pasta, Broccolini and Anchovy Herb Panko
2 sticks salted butter, softened
4 anchovy fillets (packed in oil, with capers) finely minced
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. minced chives
Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 lb. paccheri pasta (or any large tube pasta)
2 bunches broccolini, trimmed
Red pepper flakes
- Mix butter, anchovies, herbs and 1 teaspoon lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl until well combined. Transfer to plastic wrap and tightly roll into a log shape. Freeze for 15 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour before using.
- Combine panko and 1 tablespoon anchovy butter in a large nonstick skillet, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring and tossing occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add 1/2 of the prepared anchovy butter to the skillet and begin to melt over medium low heat. Add broccolini and saute until fork tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pasta pot, combine water and 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. (salt your pasta water!) Add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer 1 cup of pasta water to the anchovy butter; continue cooking pasta until al dente.
- Bring pasta water and butter to a boil, stirring until combined, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta and immediately combine with the butter/anchovy water. Add broccolini, mix well and sprinkle with toasted breadcrumbs.
- Garnish with lemon zest and crushed red pepper flakes or spicy chili oil, if you dare!